What are Your Rights after getting in a Serious Car Accident?
You take your safety seriously when on the road. You put the well-being of yourself, your passengers, and your fellow drivers first. You follow the rules and resist taking unnecessary risks. Unfortunately, these are not habits shared by all drivers. And if you have been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence and inattention, then you should seek compensation.
As an accident victim, you have rights. Hiring a San Diego Personal Injury Attorney is the best way to preserve them.
Protecting Your Rights After a Car Accident
A car accident can cost you a great deal in money, pain, and stress. If the accident is severe enough to cause serious injury, it can put you in the hospital for some time. A serious car accident can make a current medical condition worse, it can cause disfigurement, it can make it impossible for you to return to your line of work, and it can even lead to permanent disability.
If your finances were already in a precarious state, a car accident can trigger a complete financial collapse. If you are like most people, then you are without the cash reserves to deal with medical bills, loss of income, and expenses for long-term treatment. It is right for you to seek compensation from the person who caused the crash.
To do so, you will need to build a case—starting immediately after the accident.
You Have The Right To:
• Seek compensation if you have suffered an accident caused by another
• Call the police and file an official report with them regarding the accident
• Speak to people who witnessed the accident, which includes recording their statements on your cell phone camera and directing them to make statements to the police
• Take photos of the damage done to your car and the accident scene
• Take photos of your injuries after you are admitted to the hospital for treatment
• Seek and obtain medical attention, which should include a full examination and a record of injuries found and treatment administered
• Remain silent, which means that you do not have to answer questions by police that suggest you were at fault for the accident
What You Should Not Do:
• Your rights are accompanied by responsibilities. If you are to build a case for compensation, you must stay within the boundaries of law and do nothing to undermine your claim.
• You should not:
o Admit to wrongdoing to the police or anyone else
o Leave the scene, as it is illegal, and you can be criminally charged for doing so
o Agree to speak to an insurance company representative without your San Diego personal injury lawyer
o Agree to any offer made by the insurance company without your San Diego car accident attorney
Your Lawyer is Your First and Only Line of Defense
You should contact a car accident or Personal Injury Attorney in San Diego soon after the accident. Your lawyer will be the only person who puts your interests first. They will be your advocate and defender, and they will work tirelessly to get you the money you deserve.
Even if the accident and the injuries you sustained because of it seem straightforward, you must prove every claim that you make. Your lawyer will know how to gather the evidence necessary to link the actions of the other driver to the resulting accident and your pain and suffering. Your lawyer will also know how to communicate and negotiate with the insurance company. They will ensure you get a settlement that is commensurate with all that you have been through.
Protect Your Rights By Contacting Us
If you have been injured in an accident, you should call the San Diego Personal Injury Attorneys at the Law Offices of Keith J. Stone. They will ensure that your rights and interests are protected.