Helping Your Teen Driver Avoid a San Diego Auto Accident
If your teen is getting ready to drive or is already driving, then you understand the angst all parents share. A San Diego auto accident can occur at any time, leaving them seriously injured. That is why parents should take it upon themselves to help prepare their teens for operating a vehicle safely.
Practice with Them
New drivers need practice. As a parent, you should devote as much time as possible to helping your teen learn how to drive. It is recommended that you spend at least 50 hours practicing with your child before letting them on their own.
Distractions, Distractions, Distractions
It’s no secret that driving distractions claim the lives of thousands of Americans each year. Studies show that teens are more likely to engage in distractive behaviors when behind the wheel. Instruct them that the following should not be done when behind the wheel:
- Texting and driving.
- Talking on the phone.
- Eating and drinking.
- Personal grooming, such as applying makeup and doing hair.
- Staring at other accident scenes.
- Adjusting the radio.
Set a Good Example
Oftentimes, young children mimic the things they see their parents do. The same goes for teens, especially when it comes to driving. How comfortable would you be if your child engaged in the same driving habits as you do? You should always drive in the same way you hope your child will.
Teach Them the Steps to Take after an Auto Accident
Unfortunately, you can’t always prevent your teen from being involved in an auto accident. That is why it is essential that they know what to do immediately following a collision, such as:
- Check to make sure no one is seriously injured. Dial 911 immediately if someone appears to need medical attention.
- Locate the other driver and ask for their personal information. This includes their name, address, phone number, insurance information, driver’s license number, and registration information. The more information the better.
- Snap as many pictures of the accident scene as possible. This may help if their case goes to trial.
- Locate any witnesses. Request their personal information, including name and phone number.
- Write down everything you can think of about the accident as quickly as possible.
- Do not speak with the insurance adjuster. Keep in mind that their goal is to discredit your child’s account of the accident and payout as little as possible.
If the Unthinkable Should Occur
All parents dread the midnight call informing them that their child has been injured in an accident. Unfortunately, this scenario is possible every time your teen gets behind the wheel.
Attorney Keith Stone can help if your child becomes the victim of a car accident. He has the experience and knowledge necessary to build your child’s auto accident injury case. He will fight to get your child the compensation they deserve for their damages.
Your Free Informative Guide
Protecting the integrity of your child’s case is important. That’s why you should start by ordering a free copy of our informative guide, What to Do in an Auto Accident.
If your teenager has been injured in an auto accident, call San Diego auto accident attorney Keith J. Stone at (619) 531-2022 or 888-59-HELP-NOW. He will ensure that your child’s rights are protected and guide your family through the legal process.
San Diego, Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Ventura Counties including the cities of:
San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Riverside, Chula Vista, Irvine, Glendale, San Bernardino, Huntington Beach, Oxnard, Fontana, Moreno Valley, Oceanside, Rancho Cucamonga, Santa Clarita, Garden Grove, Ontario, Pomona, Palmdale, Pasadena, Corona, Torrance, Escondido, Lancaster, Orange, Fullerton, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, El Monte, Inglewood, Costa Mesa, Downey, West Covina, Victorville, San Buenaventura (Ventura), Norwalk, Burbank, Carlsbad, Temecula, South Gate, Murrieta, Mission Viejo, Rialto, Compton, El Cajon, Carson, Vista, Westminster, Santa Maria, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Hawthorne, Alhambra, Hesperia, Whittier, Newport Beach, Chino, San Marcos, Buena Park, Lakewood, Indio, Baldwin Park, Chino Hills, Blythe
Keith J. Stone also handles cases originating elsewhere in California and across the USA.