What to Do If You Are Involved in a San Diego Auto Accident
It’s well-documented that the Southern California roads and freeways can be treacherous. Though you may be a safe driver, you can’t always control the driving habits of those with whom you share the roadways. Their negligence can lead to you or someone you know being seriously injured in a San Diego auto accident.
Do you know what to do following an accident?
Unfortunately, many accident victims are not prepared and do not know what to do following an accident. For that reason, we prepared this list of simple steps to follow in the event you are involved in a collision:
- Identify injuries. Before worrying about the extent of damage to your car, you need to make sure that everyone involved in the accident is safe. If you or someone else needs medical attention, dial 911 right away.
- Exchange information. Though you may not want to think about it at the time of the accident, you will have to consider the legal ramifications of your collision. You will need to identify the other driver(s) as quickly as possible and gather as much information about them as you can. For example, get their name, number, address, driver’s license number, registration information, and insurance details. This will help you build a successful case.
- Check to see if there are any witnesses. Look to see if anyone witnessed your accident. They might be of great assistance in proving to a jury that your version of events is accurate. Get any names, numbers, addresses, and email addresses of anyone you can. Also, ask that they speak with a police officer about what they saw before leaving the accident scene.
- Snap as many pictures as possible. If your cell phone is equipped with a camera, take as many pictures of the accident scene as possible. These pictures can be persuasive when presented before a judge or jury. You may also want to jot down any initial thoughts you might have about the accident on a pad of paper.
- Notify your insurance company of your accident. This is necessary and important, even if the accident was your fault.
- Retain your own legal counsel. Having your own auto accident attorney is paramount to the success of your case. You can count on the fact that the other person’s insurance company will engage in tactics to discredit your case and pay you as little as possible, if anything at all. Do not speak with them, give any statements, sign anything, or admit fault without consulting your own lawyer first.
Will I become a victim of the insurance game?
You may if you proceed with your claim on your own. Keith J. Stone has the experience and knowledge to protect you from the insurance companies. He will work hard to defend your rights and ensure you are not victimized again. His goal is for you to receive the best compensation possible for your damages.
To get started, order a free copy of our informative guide, What to Do in an Auto Accident.
If you were injured in an auto accident, call San Diego auto accident attorney Keith J. Stone at (619) 531-2022 or 888-59-HELP-NOW. He will be able to provide you with critical answers concerning your auto accident case.
The San Diego-based Office of attorney Keith J. Stone serves the following areas in Southern California: