Truck Accidents in San Diego and 5 Ways to Avoid One
A collision with a commercial truck can significantly alter the quality of your life. Big-rigs are much bigger and heavier than cars, and an accident with a tractor-trailer could leave you permanently injured, unable to earn a living, and facing a mountain of unpaid medical bills.
What You Can Do to Avoid a Truck Accident
Though not all truck accidents can be avoided, there are certain things you can do as a driver that can reduce your chances of being involved in one. Here are five:
- Regularly maintain your vehicle. It’s not your responsibility to make sure trucks are properly maintained. However, regular vehicle maintenance on your own vehicle can minimize your risk of being in a collision with a tractor-trailer. Make sure your brakes are in good condition, your tires are properly inflated, and that your headlights, brake lights, and turn signals are working at all times.
- Use caution around a truck’s blind spots. Assuming that a truck driver can see you might end with fatal consequences. Keep in mind that a truck’s blind spots are bigger, making it more difficult for a trucker to see you than for you to see them. Avoid lingering alongside a truck and avoid passing a truck on the right.
- Avoid tailgating. The last thing you want is to be following too close to a semi when the trucker has to slow down or stop suddenly. The size of the truck will make it difficult for you to see any road hazards the trucker may encounter. Maintain a proper distance when behind any big-rig.
- Be extra careful when using entrance ramps. A commercial truck cannot slow down or stop as quickly as other types of vehicles. When getting on a freeway or entering a roadway, make sure you allow any approaching semis plenty of space. This will reduce your chances of being run off the road.
- Use extra caution when driving in bad weather and/or at night. Bad weather reduces visibility and can produce unsafe roads conditions, especially at night. Make sure you slow down and have your headlights on. This will help truckers identify your vehicle.
If You Have Been Injured in a Truck Accident
Truck accidents can have devastating results. If you have been injured by a trucker, Keith J. Stone can help you hold the driver and the trucking company liable for your damages. He will vigorously defend your compensation rights and work hard to get you the medical treatment you deserve.
You can start today by learning more about your case. Make sure you order a free copy of our informative guide, What to Do in an Auto Accident.
If you have been injured in an accident with a large truck, you should call San Diego truck accident attorney Keith J. Stone at (619) 531-2022 or 888-59-HELP-NOW. His team can answer all of your questions concerning your case.
San Diego, Imperial, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, Santa Barbara, Ventura Counties including the cities of:
San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Anaheim, Riverside, Chula Vista, Irvine, Glendale, San Bernardino, Huntington Beach, Oxnard, Fontana, Moreno Valley, Oceanside, Rancho Cucamonga, Santa Clarita, Garden Grove, Ontario, Pomona, Palmdale, Pasadena, Corona, Torrance, Escondido, Lancaster, Orange, Fullerton, Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley, El Monte, Inglewood, Costa Mesa, Downey, West Covina, Victorville, San Buenaventura (Ventura), Norwalk, Burbank, Carlsbad, Temecula, South Gate, Murrieta, Mission Viejo, Rialto, Compton, El Cajon, Carson, Vista, Westminster, Santa Maria, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Hawthorne, Alhambra, Hesperia, Whittier, Newport Beach, Chino, San Marcos, Buena Park, Lakewood, Indio, Baldwin Park, Chino Hills, Blythe
Keith J. Stone also handles cases originating elsewhere in California and across the USA.