San Diego Car Accidents: Seat Belts Save Lives
Though it is true that the majority of Americans buckle up when they get in a vehicle, some still don’t. The fact of the matter is that your seat belt could be a lifesaver if you are involved in a San Diego car accident.
The importance of seat belts
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, seat belts are the single most effective traffic-safety device. All people, whether you are a driver or a passenger, are strongly encouraged to buckle up when traveling in any type of motorized vehicle.
Why some people refuse
There are many excuses as to why people still refuse to wear a safety belt. Some of the most common excuses include:
- “I’m a safe driver.” Though that may be true, some that you share the Southern California roadways are not. Their actions and negligence can result in you being seriously injured in a car accident.
- “I’m just going down the street.” Studies conclude that this could be the most dangerous time for you and your family. Nearly 80 percent of all fatal auto accidents occur within 25 miles of home and while traveling under 40 miles per hour.
- “I may become trapped.” According to studies, the best place for you to be in if you are involved in a collision is your car. The chances that your car will catch fire or become submerged are slim. In fact, you are 25 times more likely to die if you are ejected from your vehicle.
- “Seat belts are uncomfortable.” You may learn that treatment for a car accident injury is more uncomfortable. Imagine the treatment involved for a broken leg, arm, or neck.
- “My airbag will protect me.” Airbags are only designed to enhance the effectiveness of your seat belt. They were never designed to replace them.
The alarming statistics
If you still need some convincing about the importance of seat belts, take a look these startling statistics:
- Auto accidents are the leading cause of death for people ages 35 and under.
- Over 40,000 people are killed in auto accidents annually.
- Over 40 percent of those killed each year in auto accidents are not wearing safety belts.
There are still some groups who tend to travel unbuckled
Despite the facts, some groups are still less likely to buckle up. They include teens, commercial drivers, men driving in rural areas, and pickup truck drivers.
If you are injured in an auto accident
No matter how safe of a driver you are or what precautions you take, you can’t control the driving habits of those with whom you share the roadways. If you were injured in an accident caused by another person, you might be able to hold that person liable for your damages. That is why you should speak to an experienced auto accident attorney.
Keith J. Stone has helped countless car accident victims recover finances for their damages. His goal is to protect your rights and get you the compensation you and your family deserve. It all starts by ordering a free copy of our informative guide, What to Do in an Auto Accident.
If you were injured in an auto accident, call San Diego auto accident attorney Keith J. Stone at (619) 531-2022 or 888-59-HELP-NOW. He will be able to help you determine your course of action.
The San Diego-based Office of attorney Keith J. Stone serves the following areas in Southern California: