5 Types of Negligent Drivers that May Cause a Crash in San Diego
Most car accidents are caused by a driver’s negligence. Driving requires your full attention to be safe, responsible and aware and avoid a crash in San Diego. If you do become involved in an accident, a San Diego car accident lawyer can help.
Distractions are incredibly common and come in three different forms: visual, cognitive and manual. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that 80% of crashes take place because of a form of driver distraction.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the top 5 distracted drivers typically fit into one of the following categories:
- The cell phone user – The amount of drivers using a cell phone while operating a vehicle has increased within the last few years. Even with a hands-free cell phone system in place, studies have reported that drivers are too engaged in the conversation to give full attention to the road.
- The crash diet – Eating while driving doesn’t simply involve chewing and driving, as it may seem. There are many other distractions, such as opening packages, reaching for food items, possible spills and consequent clean-ups, etc.
- The parent – When driving with children or pets, it is important to make sure they are not going to distract you while driving. Make sure that all pets are secure, and do not allow your pet to sit in the front seat with you. Make sure your children know and understand that you must concentrate to drive (some recommend that you give them a book, game or toy to occupy their time along the drive).
- The multi-tasker – Do not attempt to read, groom yourself, smoke, make phone calls, use a laptop or write notes while behind the wheel.
- The young driver – The reported leading cause of death for drivers aged 15-20 is car crashes, making up almost 1/3 of deaths for this age group. If you have a teen driver, make sure he or she is aware of how serious driving is and that he or she will designate the appropriate care and attention to the road. Help your teen develop strategies to keep passengers and fellow teenagers well behaved and under control.
Your San Diego car accident lawyer can work with you to investigate whether the other driver was acting negligently at the time of the crash.
Help After a San Diego Car Accident
When the unthinkable happens and you or a loved one is injured in a San Diego car accident know that you don’t have to face this challenge alone. The car accident lawyers at the law offices of Keith J. Stone are here to provide all of the information you need about California injury law so you can make informed choices about your personal injury claim. We even offer a FREE auto accident guide for Southern California residents. If you’re looking for personalized care and attention at this vulnerable time, contact our offices today – 619-531-2022 or toll free at 888-59-HELP-NOW.
The San Diego-based Office of attorney Keith J. Stone serves the following areas in Southern California: